March 4, 2009. Testimony before the NYS Assembly Standing Committee on Local Governments Public Hearing on Industrial Development Agencies, submitted by FPI executive director Frank Mauro. There is room for improvement in six areas:
- The usefulness of IDA hearings,
- Reporting on costs and benefits of IDA-supported projects,
- Ensuring that IDA benefits don’t go to firms that break environmental, safety or other state laws,
- Coordination with all local governments affected by IDA decisions,
- Transmission and recording of PILOT payments to the local governments on whose behalf they are collected,
- Penalties for IDAs that violate anti-piracy provisions.