Interactive Maps: SNAP Participation Rates and SNAP Retailers

May 7, 2018. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, SNAP for short, is the country’s largest and most effective nutrition program. In New York State, over 2.8 million people utilize SNAP every year, including 1.1 million children. More than $4.9 billion in SNAP benefits were spent at over 18,000 New York retailers in 2016. SNAP is a part of the Farm Bill, a piece of legislation which authorizes most federal policies governing food and agriculture programs. Approximately 80 percent of the Farm Bill is SNAP funding and the remaining 20 percent is for crop subsidies, insurance, and other agriculture-related programs.

SNAP is a crucial part of the safety net system for families and children across New York and throughout the country. To illustrate its importance in addressing poverty and food insecurity, the Fiscal Policy Institute has created two interactive maps detailing SNAP retailers by county and SNAP participation rates by county.

By: Melissa Krug

 

%d bloggers like this: